To unleash the transformative power of the theater to understand who we are as Americans.
Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater, under the leadership of Artistic Director Molly Smith and Executive Director Edgar Dobie, is a national center dedicated to American voices and artists. Arena Stage produces plays of all that is passionate, profound, deep and dangerous in the American spirit, and presents diverse and ground-breaking work from some of the best artists around the country. Arena Stage is committed to commissioning and developing new plays through the American Voices New Play Institute. Arena Stage impacts the lives of over 10,000 students annually through its work in community engagement. Now in its seventh decade, Arena Stage serves a diverse annual audience of more than 300,000.
- Create a work culture that reflects and borrows from the culture of the rehearsal hall which values experimentation and collaboration
- Pursue excellence in all aspects of our endeavor
- Flourish by building a healthy, dynamic and powerful artistic community
- Create and steward financial resources to enable a vital Arena Stage
- Champion diversity throughout the organization and within the community
- Strive to instill in the public life‐long love and participation in the theater arts
- Promote the effective stewardship of cultural capital on behalf of our artists, our community and our field through effective partnerships, collaborations and practices designed to advance the field
- Cultivate an engaged, diverse, and responsive board, staff, audience and community
Working in the Theatre:
Produced by the American Theatre Wing